During dog training, “come” is the most crucial command because it can be a lifesaver in some situations. Your four-legged friends can quickly get distracted, especially when you take them out for a walk or exercise. When you see your dogs are charging towards danger, you want them to listen to you and come towards you. Here, we will discuss “how to train your puppy to Listen and Come when called.”
6 Secrets to Help Your Puppy “Listen and Come When Called”
Follow the below-given checklist if you are struggling to get your dogs back when you call them.
1.) Encourage your puppy with incentive.
Teaching your dog to “listen and come” will not be easy, especially at a young age. It would be best if you made this training experience more valuable. The first step to achieving healthy training and learning is to encourage your pet with incentives. Follow the below-given steps for successful training:
- As a pet owner, you can serve your dog with a high-value treat. Treats are easy to dispense. Therefore, they are suitable for reinforcing positive behavior. Treats are the best solution when you want to teach them specific behavior in quick succession.
- While providing your puppy this treat, ensure that treat is healthy and does not contain many calories.
- When you feed your pup high-calorie food, your puppy will gain weight.
- You can give toys to your dog as an incentive. Games are suitable for positive reinforcement training. Play games with your dog to reward them. Play games that your dogs like the most.
- When out for a walk with your puppy, they consider it as a reward too.
- When your dog starts obeying the command, you can praise him, and it is a kind of incentive for a pet.
- Some dogs want nothing from you except attention. A little snuggle will do the job for you. When your dog listens and comes to you, pat it.
- If there are other pets at home, you can give your dog access to other dogs as a reward.
So, come out of the perception that dog treats are the only incentive you can offer to your dog. Short walks, toys, praise, and low-calorie food are the incentives for your puppy, and they will encourage your pup to learn this command.
2.) Use a high-pitched and happy voice.
During training, when your dog runs and does not come back, then what can you do? You cannot do much. You can control your puppy in two ways. One is to use a verbal call and the second one is to have physical control. You can use a leash to control physically, and we will discuss it in the below-given sections. Follow the below-given steps to help your puppy come to you when called:
- The best way to train your puppy is to show positive reinforcement.
- When calling your dog, use a high-pitched and happy voice. Your tone and volume can help communicate your feeling with your pup.
- Your voice tone helps your dogs to make decisions.
- During training, teaching commands is not enough because the voice tone also maintains a healthy training environment.
- Ensure that your voice tone is happy and high-pitched. Lower volume and soothing tone express your love for dogs. As a result, it can help establish bonding with pets.
- Yelling at your dog is not a good practice.
- Do not get rude when dogs do not listen or come to you.
- When struggling to get your puppy’s attention, you can whisper and check their response.
- Find the right tone and voice, and when you feel that it is working, stick to it.
- Be patient and do not punish them.
It’s the most critical step, so ensure that you do it correctly.
3.) Never scold your puppy.
When your dog performs bad behavior or does anything wrong, there is a possibility that you will lose your temper. It might look right for a moment, but it is not the proper practice. Scolding your puppy should never be the solution. Why is scolding bad for dogs? Read the below-given reasons and avoid scolding during dog training.
- Dogs do not understand English, so shouting at them will not help. The best way is to use short clues.
- Angry words will frighten and confuse your dog.
- Yelling at your dog is not the right option, and it indicates there is a communication problem between both of you. The best option is to invest your energy in teaching it the right behaviors.
- When you scold your dog often, it is not suitable for training. Yelling at your pup may stop it momentarily, but it is not the solution. If you want to bring behavioral change, avoid suppressing the dog’s reaction.
- Scolding increases fear in dogs. Some dogs are sensitive, and when you scold them, there can be training setbacks.
- When you continuously scold your dog, he will take it as a welcome addition. Moreover, scolding will not convey what you want to teach him.
It’s not easy to get rid of the scolding problem, but it will help with training and improve your bonding with the dog when you do this. So, whatever command you are teaching to your dog, never scold your puppy.
4.) Be Consistent.
When you want to teach your dog any command, consistency is the key. When you lack consistency, you will not get any results. Follow the below-given steps:
- When you want your dog to learn “Listen and come” commands, repeat the same cues daily. When you do this for one day and repeat this after a week, it will not help. Be consistent in your commands and follow the same cues daily. When you maintain consistency in your orders, it will make it easier for your dog to learn and respond to your commands.
- Make training part of their daily routine. You can train your dog for 15 minutes but ensure that you do it daily. It will keep your dog alert, and they will be ready every day to learn something new. Moreover, when you train them daily, it will help them to understand the commands quickly.
- Ensure that every family member is on the same page. For example, you are using a different cue for a particular demand, and other members are using different, it will confuse your pup. So, the best way is to use consistent verbal and non-verbal cues to make training easy.
- Choose the words wisely and stick to them. For example, “Come and Come Here” are two different words, so choose one word you want your dog to learn. Whatever term you chose, ensure that you use it consistently.
So, if you want to make “Listen and Come” commands easy for dogs to learn, then be consistent in your cues and training.
5.) Make every call a party time.
Dogs are not easy to train. Come command is probably the most difficult to learn. You can make it possible by showing positive reinforcement. So, follow the below-given tips and make the training process easy and smooth:
- When you call your puppy and successfully follow your command, and it comes to you, you can reward it with a treat.
- When you repeatedly do this, it will encourage good behavior, and they will respond to you every time you call them.
- Ensure that you make every call a party time. It means you can give them treat whenever they come to you.
- Praise your puppy and give him/her toys so that you can encourage a positive environment.
Another good way to train your dog to “listen and come” command is to make every call a party time. By doing this, you can encourage positive reinforcements.
6.) Use a long leash or line to train.
When you want to train a young and bouncy dog, a long leash is a valuable tool. Long-line and long leash are interchangeable terms. Long lines will help to promote recalls. Moreover, they provide you with more control. The long lead is beneficial for both young and adult dogs.
How to get started with long leash training?
- Buy a long leash somewhere between 30–50 feet long.
- A long leash ensures that the pup is always in your hand.
- It does not matter whether you’re in the park or at home; a long leash provides you with complete control over your pet.
- When your pups go out of sight, the long leash will still help you get them back.
Tips for Leash Training Your Pet
- Start with a short leash. It will provide you with more control.
- When you feel comfortable with a short leash, you can move to a long one.
- Avoid long lines touching the ground during a walk. Otherwise, they will tangle your dog’s legs.
- Start practicing this indoor, and when you feel your dog is getting comfortable with go outside.
- Please do not make it too tight to make it uncomfortable for your pet. Buy leashes made of nylon because they are super soft.
- Do not buy retractable leashes because they’re not safe for dogs.
- Use a dog leash with a harness, and it will prevent neck injury.
- A long leash can help you teach your dog to listen and come commands.
So, these secrets can help you train your dog to listen and come to you when called.
What should you do if your dog does not come to you when called?
It’s possible that you call your dog but don’t get any response from him. Follow the below-given tips and make this experience fun and interesting:
- Ensure that your dog is not too far away from you, but you can increase this distance later.
- Start training your dog using a leash. If your dog does not respond to your call, gently nudge your dog at the same time when you call.
- Place something on the ground in front of you, and the dog’s curiosity will encourage them to investigate it. Meanwhile, use the command “Come.”
- Rewarding your puppy with a special treat will motivate and help with the overall training of your puppy. Some love to get food, and others are happy with toys. Sometimes a little appreciation will do the job. So, choose a reward according to your dog’s interest.
- If you want to reinforce the “Come” command, play hide-and-seek with your dog.
Mistakes to Avoid during Training Your Dog
We do not even realize it, but still, we make mistakes. So, if you want to keep the training environment healthy, avoid making these mistakes:
- It can be frustrating when your dog ignores the command, but scolding and yelling is not the right approach. When owners repeatedly call their dogs and do not respond, they become angry, and when dogs come to them, they punish them. As mentioned earlier, make each call a party time. When your dog follows the command and comes to you, it will ensure that your dog takes it positively and learns quickly.
- When your dog does not come to you if called, avoid chasing him. The best way is to walk away from your dog and let him chase you.
- When your dog is not listening to you, do not repeat the same command. When you feel your dog is less distracted, use the “Come” command again, and you will get a positive response.
- Sometimes dogs take it negatively when you call them for bathing or trimming nails.
When you avoid these mistakes, the learning process will be easy for dogs.
Teaching your dog to follow the “Come” command isn’t easy, and it will require lots of patience and effort. The above-mentioned secret tips can help you train your dog to listen and come to you when called. Moreover, avoid using the mistakes to make the training experience enjoyable for you and your dog.
If your current approach to training your puppy to listen and come when called needs to be refreshed, all these tips work well for me so that you can try them. Implement the suggestions featured in this post, and let us know how it goes well for you.